Mobile Deposit FAQs
For assistance with Mobile Deposit, please call 800-865-2612 during normal business hours, or stop by your local branch.
What is Mobile Deposit?
- Mobile Deposit is a way to use a mobile device to electronically deposit checks into your account. Some other commonly used terms for Mobile Deposit are “Remote Deposit” and “Remote Deposit Capture.”
Is there a cost to use Mobile Deposit?
- No, Mobile Deposit is free.
What devices work with Mobile Deposit?
- Any Apple or Android mobile device with a rear facing camera and internet access can download the Mobile App which includes Mobile Deposit.
Who can use Mobile Deposit?
- To use Mobile Deposit, you must have an active Hoosier Hills Credit Union account in good standing, be enrolled in Online Banking, and have an Android or Apple device with a rear-facing camera.
How much can I deposit?
- The maximum amount allowed is $1,500* per check, $1,500 per day, and $5,000 per month. *However, any single check received could be subject to a hold based on the credit union’s check policy.
What types of checks are ineligible for Mobile Deposit?
- The following checks are ineligible for Mobile Deposit:
- Traveler’s checks.
- Checks payable to any person or entity other than you (i.e., payable to another party and then endorsed to you).
- Checks payable to you and another party who is not a joint owner on the account.
- Checks that contain evidence of alteration, or that you know or suspect, or should know or suspect, are fraudulent or otherwise not authorized by the owner of the account on which the check is drawn.
- Checks that you know or suspect, or should know or suspect, represent orders to pay money that are subject to defenses by the drawer of the check or other third party.
- Checks previously converted to a substitute check, as defined in Regulation CC.
- Checks drawn on a financial institution located outside the United States.
- Checks not payable in United States currency.
- Checks dated more than 6 months prior to the date of deposit.
- Checks that have previously been submitted through this service or through a remote deposit capture service offered at any other financial institution.
- Checks or items that are drawn or otherwise issued by the U.S. Treasury Department.
How will I know when the check has been accepted?
- You will receive an e-mail notification when your deposit has been accepted. If you do not have an e-mail address in online banking, you will not receive any e-mail notifications. Please see "How do I change my e-mail address for Mobile Deposit e-mail notifications?" to enter an e-mail address.
When will I receive credit for my check?
- Accepted deposits received by 2pm ET on business days will be credited to your account during nightly processing the same business day. Deposits received after 2pm ET will be credited the next business day during nightly processing. A business day is Monday - Friday (excluding holidays).
Is Mobile Deposit secure?
- Check deposits made through the HHCU Mobile App are protected according to the highest financial industry standards. Security features include password protection, internet firewalls and 128-bit encryption. In addition, check images and other private information are not stored within the Mobile App or on your device.
How do I make a Mobile Deposit?
- Make sure you have downloaded the Hoosier Hills Credit Union Mobile App for your device.
- Log in to the Hoosier Hills Credit Union Mobile App using your username and password.
- Tap the three horizontal lines next to “Accounts” and choose "Deposit Checks" from the menu.
- Read and accept the Mobile Deposit Services Agreement.
- Tap “To” to select the account into which you want to deposit the check.
- Tap “Amount” to enter the amount of your check.
- Endorse the back of your check with "HHCU Mobile Deposit Only."
- Tap “Front” to take a picture of the front of your check.
- Tap “Back” to take a picture of the back of your check.
- Tap “Deposit” to deposit the check.
- You will receive a confirmation that your check has been submitted to us for review. You can then log out of the Mobile App.
- Deposits may take up to one business day to appear in your account. Deposits received by 2pm ET on business days will be credited to your account during nightly processing the same business day. Deposits received after 2pm ET will be credited the next business day during nightly processing. A business day is Monday - Friday (excluding holidays).
- After your deposit has been posted, we recommend that you securely store your check for 30 days and then mark it “VOID” and destroy it.
Why am I unable to deposit my check?
- There are several possible reasons why a check may not be able to be deposited:
- Folded or torn corners.
- Front image is not legible.
- Amount entered does not match the amount read by the scanning software.
- Routing and account numbers are unclear.
- No camera on the device.
- Image is too dark.
What do I do if my check is rejected in Mobile Deposit?
- Double check the following:
- Your check photos are clear and legible. Be sure that there are no shadows on the check, the check itself is not wrinkled excessively, the image is not blurry from "camera shake," and the writing is contained within the relevant spaces on the check.
- You have positioned the check against a dark or contrasting background.
- The MICR line (the bottom portion of the check that includes your account number and routing number) is fully visible (be sure the corners of the check are not covering this line).
- There is space between the MICR line and the edge of the image.
- The check number, payee, endorsement, character (numeric) amount, legal (written) amount, and MICR line are all readable.
- If the check continues to be rejected, please bring it to one of our branches for deposit.
I just made a deposit a few hours ago and I don’t see it in my account. Can I bring the check into an HHCU branch to deposit it?
- No. Once you have deposited a check through Mobile Deposit, you may not deposit it again elsewhere. If there is a problem with a deposit, we will notify you and work with you to correct it. Think of it like an electronic Teller line; once the Teller deposits your check, you cannot take the check back and deposit it again. If you are concerned about not seeing the deposit in your account, look for your deposit on the next business day (see “When will I receive credit for my check?”).
Where can I download the Mobile Deposit Service Agreement?
- Click here to download the agreement.
How do I change my e-mail address for Mobile Deposit e-mail notifications?
- Log into Online Banking from a computer, click on “My Settings” in the top right corner, and click “Update” next to your Primary e-mail address. You can then update your e-mail address and click “Save.”
Is there a way to see the checks I deposited within the Mobile App?
- Images are not stored on your device. The program removes the image after it is submitted, or if you do not complete the deposit process. However, you can log into Online Banking to see your check images.
What accounts can I use with Mobile Deposit?
- You can deposit into your Checking or Savings accounts associated with the member number you signed into the Mobile App with.
What should I do with the paper check after I’ve submitted it through Mobile Deposit?
- Once you have deposited the check successfully, you should keep the check in a safe place for 30 days. After 30 days, and after you have confirmed the deposited funds have been applied to your account correctly, mark the check “VOID” and destroy it.
Do I need to sign the back of my check?
- Yes. Please sign the back of your check and write “HHCU Mobile Deposit Only.”
Are there any helpful hints for using Mobile Deposit?
- Make sure the check amount entered matches the amount written.
- Smooth out any folds in your check.
- Keep the check within the on-screen corners when taking the photos.
- Take the photos in a well-lit area.
- Place the check on a solid dark background before taking the photos.
- Keep the phone flat and steady above the check when taking your photo.
- Make sure the entire check image is visible and in focus before submitting your deposit.
For more information on Mobile Deposit, visit: http://www.hoosierhillscu.org/home/tools/eservices#mobiledeposit